Friday, January 20, 2012

18th Birthday Cupcakes





















My brother just had his 18th birthday. When I asked
if he would like me to make a cake for him he happily
accepted but proposed a list of requirements.

The List: cookies and cream cupcakes with the cupcakes
being white cake with cookies mixed in (with a cake to
cookie ratio of 1:1), flattened plain white frosting and a
piped 1 with two mini oreo's for the 8.

I thought the ratio was hilarious. I was quite glad of
the requirements / specifications as it made recipe hunting
easy and allowed me to not be picky and indecisive.  
So I settled on; white chocolate cupcakes with 1/2
biscuit in the bottom, 1/2 on top with white chocolate
fudge frosting. After I made the frosting, he decided that
he did want cookies mixed into the frosting. So I processed
some oreos and added them into the frosting but when
combined it hardened the frosting and made its taste texture
quite fatty and sweet. I think it was a reaction between the
cream in the frosting and the cream icing in the biscuit.
I don't recommend adding crushed oreos to this frosting
recipe. Nevertheless, to my brother and his friends they loved
it. I guess thats the difference between 18 and 23 yr olds
tastebuds. This cupcake recipe has a lovely light and fluffy
texture. Also note that the uncooked batter is pretty tasty too.




















Cookies and Cream Cupcakes

(Recipes adapted from: Donna Hay - Simple Essentials; Chocolate)

Makes 12 1/2 cup cupcakes.

White Chocolate Cupcakes with Oreos
100g butter, softened
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 1/3 cup plain flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
100g white chocolate, melted
12 oreo biscuits, quatered

White Chocolate Fudge Frosting
250g white chocolate
1/2 cup pouring cream
70g butter

Preheat oven to 160 degrees celcius.

For the cupcakes; line a 12 cupcake pan with patty pans.
Beat butter and sugar in electric mixer till light and creamy.
Add in the eggs, followed by flour and baking powder until
combined. Gently fold through milk and white chocolate
alternatively. Place 2 quaters of one biscuit into the bottom of
the patty pan. Spoon mixture into patty pans followed by
gently pushing in the other 2 quaters of biscuit on to the top. 
Bake for 20 - 25 mins, or until cooked when tested with skewer.
**My cupcakes took about 35mins. 

For the frosting; place all ingredients over a bain marie
until melted and smooth consistency. Allow to completely
cool down then just before using, beat with electric mixer till
thick and fluffy being careful to not over beat and churn into
butter. Pipe  / spread onto cupcakes.
**I piped a dark compound chocolate number one.

1 comment:

Paola said...

Chelsea, this is so clever! My daughter's turning 18 next year and I knoooow she would just love this combination. Well done :)